online literature since 2007

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

the skin on the back of my neck tingled as i stared into the fire.

james sat in a chair snoring with his mouth wide open.

i peeled a banana and opened my book.

the dim light of the evening was all but gone and only the burning fire provided me with light.

i was reading a book by goethe and the sentences seemed to blur together.

"i only wished i had never known her."

"the clock on the mantle said midnight."

an extreme wave of boredom was settling over me so i slapped myself in the face.



i opened my phone and played poker for half an hour.

the wind outside was whipping the tree branches against our loft.

in the room down the hall i could hear my other roommate mark having sex with his girlfriend.

i tried to concentrate on my book, so that it would not seem obvious that their intercourse was audible.

a half-eaten corn cob sat on the table next to me.

i picked it up and examined it.

i stared at it for several minutes.

it showed no sign of life.

3 comments:

CharliePuckett said...

well played up until the phone was opened. the weight of the words reminded me of Joyce. i liked how you acknowledged the idleness solemnly up until you opened the phone. by the way, your short story on bigfuckingthoughts, the one with the chest, kicked ass.

CharliePuckett said...

i mention Joyce because I'm all hot on Schopenhauer's concept of the sublime. i posted my attempt at that sublime. im interested in this business and will be til i die. minimalism is the access route.

andrew worthington said...

minimalism? yeah i can feel that for sure. but i try not get too dogmatic or technical about, you know? its nice to throw the reader off everyonce in a while, otherwise you are just an uptight artist kind of.